16 October 2008

Meat

So today was interesting. Actually it was a bit normal for this meeting; me running around like my head's on fire, setup here, breakdown there. But then 4:35 came and it got REALLY interesting.
So in case you don't sit glued to C-Span or CNN you probably don't know that both candidates were here at the Smelldorf tonight for a charity fund raiser of some sort. We were filming in the main ballroom where this event was being held and we were told a few days before that we'd need to clear out quickly. So the time comes and by then I'd estimate that about 50 or 60 Secret Service guys were milling around looking official and menacing. Mostly menacing. We then proceeded to strike the entire room, down to the last cord and chair in about 23 minutes. I've never seen so many people moving so quickly to clear a room in my life.
After that it was apparent that Elvis was in the building because you couldn't access half the floors and the rest were just swarming with blue-blood New Yorkers in tux and tails, all going in a different direction. As it was nearing dinner time and I had no desire to hang out and play the turd in the wealthy punch bowl, I rounded up some co-workers and headed out to find a real honest to goodness New York eatery.
I ended up finding a little corner of heaven. On a suggestion we went here, where I ate this:



It's roughly the weight of a small baby and brought tears to my eyes... in a good way. Follow up with some sauteed spinach, garlic mashed potatoes and finish with a glass of Taylor Fladgate 20 year old tawny port and you have the makings of a nice food coma.
Traveling for work can suck.
But sometimes it's got it's perks.
If you'll excuse me I'm going to go and dream of doing the appropriate amount of sit ups.

No comments: